You are already fully gathered for a morning or evening run, went outside, and then it started to rain. Is the workout spoiled and it won’t work out? Run in the rain, you see, uncomfortable, but who said that you need to go home or go to the fitness center and pay for a one-time visit? An ordinary staircase will help to fix everything …
How useful workout on the stairs
American doctors Brand Peity and David Herrington conducted an interesting study, during which they studied the effect of the usual climbing stairs on the body and human health.
As a result, the doctors came to a shocking conclusion: it turns out that if we analyze the results, it turns out that each step overcome by a man prolongs his life by 4 seconds (subject to the generally healthy lifestyle).
That is, if you walk up to the 10th floor on foot, you will be able to “win” the body an additional 13 minutes of life daily (each floor consists of two flights, on average, 10 steps). Over the years there will be a good increase, which will cost you absolutely nothing, because there are stairs in all high-rise buildings.
European physicians also conducted research on a similar topic and found that climbing low stairs 3-5 times a day reduces the risk of stroke in men by about 30%.
So if you train on the stairs for 10-15 minutes a day, you can easily prevent the development of a stroke or heart attack in the future. For example, in New York every year there are competitions for climbing stairs. To do this, choose the highest staircase in the city, located in the Empire State Building and has 1500 steps.
Well, you can set your personal records right at your entrance or in any other place where there are stairs.
Does a ladder help you lose weight?
Trainings on the stairs belong to such a sports direction as street workout, to which street workouts on bars, horizontal bars and dug-in tires also belong.
The ladder is an excellent cardiovascular equipment, combining aerobic and power (anaerobic) loads. Walking and jogging on the stairs are more difficult for our body than regular walking and jogging on a flat surface. Energy costs for such training is also significantly higher.
In the course of the research, it was found that an hour of unhurried ascent of the stairs allows you to burn about 500-700 kcal. But if you begin to practice high-speed run upstairs (60 steps per minute), you can burn almost 400 kcal in 5 minutes.
Such excellent results in burning calories are ensured by the fact that when you climb the stairs, the pulse quickly accelerates to 140-160 beats per minute. At the same time, we begin to breathe more often and more deeply, thanks to which we capture more oxygen.
Under the influence of an increased level of oxygen in the tissues and cells, oxidation is more effective, and then fat cells are burned, which accelerates the loss of fat mass of the body and weight loss in general.
Thus, walking and jogging on the stairs require more energy from the body than, for example, jogging or football. In addition, the doctor of sports medicine, Frank Yvsto, says that for 3 months of regular workouts on the stairs, you can increase your lungs by 9% and reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the blood by 4%.
In addition to the real loss of excess weight, the ladder will help to tone the muscles and work out the relief of the body. Climbing the stairs train the upper surface of the thigh muscles and the gluteal muscles, and if you climb on the toes, you can pump calf muscles.
Features of training on the stairs
Training on the stairs also have their own characteristics and contraindications. For example, with caution and only after the doctor’s permission, people with obesity, varicose veins, hypertension, problems with the joints and the spine, with complicated bronchial asthma should be trained on the stairs.
If you have no contraindications for such trainings, then you can safely begin to practice by following these rules:
1. Choose a ladder that is well lit, has sturdy railing, strong wide steps without gouges and slippery surfaces.
2. Before the workout, warm up a little. This will avoid pain in the knees and spine, as well as various sprains and dislocations.
3. The first workouts should be no more than 10-15 minutes a day. It is is roughly equivalent to a leisurely ascent to the 3-4th floor two times in a row.
4. Take the stairs at a comfortable pace, especially if you have not played sports before or do it extremely rarely. If climbing is difficult, practice the interval method: go up 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds.
5. Do not forget to take a short break between the spans. If you feel that shortness of breath, take a break. You can stick to the railing, evenly distributing the load between the upper and lower part of the body.
6. Every day, increase the rises by one span or floor, bringing the training time to 25-30 minutes a day. Such loads are quite able to replace the regular classes in the fitness room.
7. Try to climb, stepping on each step, and not through one – it is much more effective for fat burning.
8. Adjust the speed of climbing stairs, depending on your abilities, your health and your final goal: if you want to lose weight, go up quickly, if you want to pump muscles and achieve relief, then go up slowly.
9. For the best results of training, you can practice interval training, constantly changing the speed of lifting. You can also complicate workouts on the stairs using weights on your legs or body (you can climb with dumbbells or bags in your hands or hang a heavy backpack on your back).
Just go to the weighting gradually, when the usual workout on the stairs will be given to you easily.
10. Choose shoes for training, which will not crush you, well breathable, has a cushioning air cushion in the bow and in the heel, with non-slip soles.
11. When climbing stairs, watch your posture: if you slouch and lean forward, you can damage the lower back. Hold the case straight.
12. If it is very difficult for you to climb stairs, and you cannot withstand such loads on the heart, then at least regularly go down the stairs – such training is much easier and allows you to burn about 200 kcal per hour.
Examples of exercises on the stairs
It would seem that the ladder does not provide special options for training except the alternation of descents and ascents, as well as speed control. But it is not so. We offer to your attention the 5 most effective exercises on the stairs besides those that you already know:
1. Heels down
Stand on the bottom step and hang your heels off a little. Transfer body weight on the socks and grab onto the railing. Now gently lower the heels down, maintaining balance. Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise 20 times.
2. Side elevations
Turn to the stairs with your right side and, holding the railing, step with your left foot over one step. Next, put your right foot on the step above and again bring out your left foot across the step.
On the next flight of stairs, do the same, but turning to the stairs with your left side.
Now go down and repeat the exercise on each side 2-3 times.
3. lifts with squats
Quickly go up to the next landing, sit 10 times and take another flight, then sit down again 10 times. Cover 2-3 floors in a similar way. Go down and repeat.
4. Up and down
Climb the stairs one span, stepping on each step, starting with the right foot. The next flight rise, starting with the left foot. Alternate your legs until you reach the very last floor.
Now go down and repeat another 1-2 times.
5. Lifts with lunges
Climb up one flight of stairs, doing lunges with your right foot after 1-2 steps (make sure that the knee does not extend beyond the projection of the sock). During the ascent to the next flight, lunge with your left foot. Pass through 3 flights on each leg, now go down in quick steps and repeat.
As you can see, training on the stairs is not as difficult as it may seem. The main thing is that you can train wherever there is a ladder, and in any weather (if you train in a high-rise building), and this is absolutely free.
Do not postpone training for later, but make a willful decision – today forever renounce lifts and escalators forever! This will definitely benefit you …
Was this article helpful to you? Then like us and write in the comments, do you practice workouts on the stairs, and how often do you refuse elevators?